VISITING ON YOUR OWN
If you are an experienced traveler and like to coordinate all or most of your trip, this is helpful information to get organized:
- The Bird Route offers everything from high end lodges to home-stays. Visit each site’s description for information on accommodations.
- Costa Rican has a good public bus system; buses leaving from the Caribbean Bus Terminal will get you into the region of the Bird Route.
- Renting a car is fairly cheap and gives you good flexibility; and most of the well-known rental companies are present in Costa Rica, and can be accessed at or near the airport.
- Private transport companies such as Interbus and Grayline can also help you move around.
- Guides can be an integral part of getting the most out of your trip. Many of the Bird Route sites have their own guides on staff to take you on tours of the preserves, but you might also want a guide to accompany you from site to site on your itinerary. Click here to see a list of guides that operate in the Bird Route region.
Costa Rican Bird Route Map and Guide
- The Map and Guide is fundamental for an independent visit to the Bird Route.